Thursday, October 16, 2008

God is so good


This may be my first post where I actually write something instead of just post pictures. I guess I usually let the pictures speak for me but this time that won't cut it.

My story may need a preface for some of you so the background info is this:

About 1.5 years ago I began a relationship with a boy named Isaiah through an after-school program I volunteered at for at-risk youth. When I first met Isaiah I truly felt convicted by God to be part of his life and do what I could to help. There really is no other explanation other than God was telling me to reach out to Isaiah and He filled my heart with compassion for this boy. This relationship quickly expanded into weekends where Isaiah would stay with us and weekly overnights as well. We took him many places where he got to fish, snowboard, hike, golf, swim, etc. My life was very consumed with this child and his life which was at times a bad thing when others/other things needed my attention. As the end of last school year approached it became more complicated to be in his life due to his family and their feelings towards Ben and I and Isaiah behaving like a 9 year old with severe emotional disorders due to his upbringing. I became more concerned for my safety when going to his house and also didn't feel the love that I felt I deserved from him after a year of my commitment to him. We took him on a family trip to the mountains in June and I haven't spent time with him since. Work, travel, vacation and being pregnant took precedence over Isaiah and I have had guilt about this for sure. I also did not feel God pulling at my heart to make Isaiah a priority in my life...which was really strange. I mean there is no way God's plan was for me to be involved for such a short period of time. I saw it as me being lazy and perhaps influenced by the devil to sway from God's plan.

However today I learned something that gives me hope that it was God's plan I have been following all along. Isaiah is now living with an Aunt in a much better neighborhood and house than he has been for the last 5+ years. He is also in a new school with a fresh start. When I first met this Aunt I wanted to move him there right away because I knew it would be a better place for him. Apparently the church and after-school program finally made this happen, with God's guidance of course. And the fact that he wasn't with me a lot over the summer could have encouraged his family to see that he needed a better permanent situation. Isaiah won't need Ben and I as much in this new home and will definitely have a more stable and safe environment...which was the goal all along. I have much joy and hope in this new situation. I also feel very encouraged yet also so very small by this wonderful plan that God orchestrated. The good times I spent with Isaiah in the last 1.5 years gave me more reward than I could ever describe. And knowing now that his future can be described as "hopeful" is just the icing on the cake.

2 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

Oh my goodness. What a story. Thank you so much for sharing. God really is so good. I am thankful Isaiah had you and Ben in his life.

Courtney said...

You and Ben were such an awesome example in your love for this little boy. I was blown away by the one night we saw you with him and the grace and love you extended to him. I know you have made a huge diffence in his life, thanks for sharing God worked through you guys.