Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ups and Downs



Last week was one of those weeks that was full of highs and lows that are what make life, life.

We were back at the Dr. Tuesday afternoon because we thought Buxton had another ear infection. Turns out he didn't but the 4 molars he has coming in were causing the same symptoms. Then on Tuesday night, after dinner with Ben at the fish camp, we had a very unfortunate situation occur at home. While I was rushing to get Buxton's Motrin ready, and not paying attention to where the dogs were, Buxton did something to our dog Honey that caused her bite him in the face. It was quick and I didn't even realize it had happened until I looked closely at his face and saw blood. After a bath to calm him and clean him up we decided to take him up the street to an after-hours clinic, where we got in to see a Dr right away. The wounds were scratches and thankfully not bad at all, but they were around his eye and on his upper lip so of course it could have been way worse. By the weekend he was pretty much healed and you can barely see any marks left behind now. We thought Buxton was going to join the Smith Family Dog Scar Club (since Ben and I both have scars on our faces from dog bites) but thankfully, he will not be a member.
We have an amazing vet that has had Honey since Wednesday. Her track record with fear aggression towards children is very colorful and being a rescue (from the side of the Interstate) means that her life before coming to live with us is unknown and most likely pretty crummy. I think we've had her for 5 years and those years were so much better because of her. Even though we love her with all our hearts and are so thankful for all the love she brought to our lives, we had to make the terribly hard decision to end her life before she hurts anyone else. Pawning her off to someone else isn't an option because she has a behavior problem that is not fixable, and considering what she could be capable of in the right situation is too risky. I'm thankful for the great life she had while she was with us and for the fact that she came into our lives in the first place. Lindsey said it so perfect when she said "Heaven can't wait for Honey". I hope Honey will continue to protect us in Heaven as she did every night that Ben was at work by how she made me feel more secure. I can't tell you how many friends and relatives that have visited our home and fallen in love with Honey, so I know for sure that she is going to get a lot of attention up there.
*if i could turn the comments off for just this section i would because the "you are so lucky's, it could have been way worse's, and poor buxton's" aren't helpful or needed. but prayers are great. thanks.

Now it's time for the good stuff.

On Saturday I made homemade strawberry and blueberry fruit roll-ups, since I was inspired by one of my favorite blogs and this post.
Mine were a little more wet and sticky than they should have been but still delicious. Buxton loves them!

On Sunday Ben came to swim lessons and I was able to capture some moments that show how much Buxton loves the water. Here he is jumping off the side:



On Sunday we played outside and had some good QT together. The weekend would have been better if Ben hadn't been under the weather but in all it was pretty awesome.




2 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

Oh goodness! What a week!! My sister had to do the same exact thing several years ago with their border collie. He bit my niece. my sister and husband were totally obsessed witht that dog too. It is a tough call to make for sure. I will be praying.
Buxton is too cute!! That is great you are doing swim lessons and getting him ready for the pool season!

Jessica said...

Prayers. Gracie got bitten this week as well by her doggie. Prayers.

I cant wait for swim lessons. They wont let us take them here until 3 so Rylie will get some this spring!