Tuesday, July 27, 2010

2nd nursery take 1


I am just now starting to make progress on the 2nd nursery and have the very beginning phase to share. Buxton's room is staying just as it is and baby girl is getting the room that used to be my office. My office is now in our guest room because there was plenty of space and because I couldn't designate another really large room to such a tiny person. I had a hard time with Buxton's nursery because the room is really big and all that space was overwhelming. So I thought the 2nd nursery would be easy cause it's such a small space. I was wrong. But I think I've finally developed the perfect plan to create a space that I love being in, that suits the baby's needs, and that Ben can actually fit in. Now that I have the plan, it's time for Ben to get to work on the dirty work.

This is the corner that the crib will go in. I'm getting a white Jenny Lind spindle for $100 thanks to a 20% off coupon from Babies R Us. I had a Jenny Lind as a baby so 2 checks for economical and nostalgic. The crib will go from the wall to exactly where that tiny door's hinge is. That tiny door goes to the attic so the cracks in the door need something covering them to keep out the hot and cold air.

This window will let the sun shine right in on the crib. I love sunlight so I'm happy about this, but some drapes with a blackout liner will definitely be purchased. Still deciding what these drapes will look like. I'm hoping a rocking chair will be a nice addition to this alcove. And Mom bought us a beautiful chandelier to hang where that awesome lightbulb on a string currently is.

View of the narrow doorway that needs paint and the horrible carpet that will get covered with new flooring. I took the door off to get a dresser in and may end up putting a different kind of door back on. I really want to do an additional screen door like we did for Buxton's room but I don't know if they make screen doors this small.

When you walk in the room and turn right there is a hallway type space with a slanted ceiling. I found a beautiful, modern, low to the ground crib that I was going to put under the slant but then I figured out that Ben would never be able to get her out of the crib easily. So we will probably put some shelving here for more storage if needed.

There is just enough room for Ben to stand straight and walk down the hall, if he hugs the wall.

And this is where the diaper changes will happen, and clothes will be stored. This dresser was my Mom's growing up. Behind the flowery fabric is a large storage space that I know will come in handy.
I hope to be back soon with photos of the new floor, paint and light fixture. Oh and a crib would be good. We're getting close to the 2 month count-down so you know I'm ready to get this nursery done!

And for good measure I had to share this pic of Buxton chowing down on his first ear of corn.
He loved it.

3 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

Do we have a name yet??? I can't wait to see the nursery. I know it is going to be beautiful! It looks so sweet already. I loved getting the nurseries ready and designing them. Life looks so good for you guys. I am so happy for you.

Margaret said...

It is going to be gorgeous Kristin!! And I cannot believe it is getting close to 2 months away!! What?!?! So excited for you guys. Buxton looks like such a big boy and I LOVE his curls.

Jessica said...

How did I miss this post! How fun to decorate a new girlie room! Its gonna be so great!!